Monday, 25 May 2015

Helicopter stand step by step build.

I finished two of the low stands tonight and a tall version. I took photos of the tall version so anyone else can copy my method.

Step one. Buy some plastic Martini party glasses.

Step two. Put a rivet head into a TV/Radio Aerial.

Step three. Drill a large hole into the stem. I drilled a series of small holes this time and filed to shape. Last time I cracked the stem using progressively bigger drills.

Step four. Drill a hole into the base big enough for the Aerial to sit in. I have various types of Aerials so may need a different method to secure this end for the others.

Step five. Check fit.

Step six. Using plastic glue secure the base to a CD plastic blank and then glue the top to the CD blank. Use Araldite to glue the Aerial in. (Jim Rockford supervising is optional)

Base painting the Revell Helicopters

I've not been updating this for awhile as frankly base coating three Helicopters is not that interesting. I had forgotten how difficult it is painting aircraft of any kind as there is nothing to hold that will not need repainting after handling. I have gotten a bit further than the photos show as tonight I put some gloss coat on where the decals are going to go. I have also done some pin washes down panel seams.

I have only two sets of unmatching decals so am going for a generic look rather than trying to portray  a particular unit. I have also found out that Marine units did not use the armament modelled here so will use some artistic licence.

I feel that although its hard doing three of these at the same time I would probably not gotten past the second one if I had tried to do them separately.

The crashed Helicopter base is just about finished with a base coat and two highlights just done.

Sunday, 3 May 2015

Te Papa, the scale of our War and the National War Memorial.

I had a day out with my brother last week to check out these two displays put on by Sir Peter Jackson.
I must say that as Modellers/Wargamers we were blown away by the level of detail that has gone into the work at Te Papa. Things like the detail on the Vickers Tripod, the weave of the webbing and the metalwork. There are even fully modelled bullets to be seen inside the cartridge pouches. Remembering that these are 3up Human scaled figures everything has had to be made from scratch.

I took heaps of photos but will only post some teaser shots here as you really need to see it for yourself.  At the National War Museum there were real Uniforms, weapons etc on display. We were a bit disappointed that the Gallipoli Diorama was still being worked on and not open for display yet. I mentioned to my brother that "I wonder what else Sir Peter has hidden way in a collection (WW2)?


War Memorial.

The Wargames room is almost complete.

I took last week off work so I could complete painting the last external wall. Well actually, there is a little bit to be done on another wall at ground level which does not need scaffolding. Next weekend I hope to fit the guttering so all the scaffolding can be taken away before winter sets in. Friday was the only day I could paint but I still installed some shelving and a leather couch which had all been in storage.

My partner scored these shelves for free from a shop next-door to her flat. They were moving out and these were no longer needed by them. I have now removed the lighting from the top shelf as thats where I want to store my big buildings. The centre two shelves I am planning to fit glass shelving to which is where I want to display my figures. The bottom shelves are where my books are going. I will probably be removing the lighting from there as well.

I started to arrange my US Militaria on this shelving unit. I have since been given a 94 dated Woodland Uniform and won a HBT shirt so its going to be getting pretty full. I still have work tools on my benches which needs to be tidied up.

The stereo is sitting there for the moment while I wait to get a BIGGER TV installed. Half of my 20mm WW2 collection is on the shelf below. The rest of it is on the other shelving on the other side of the room. The sheet of plywood is to be a computer desktop.

I am planning to build a computer desk in this corner using the old shelf as a support.

My partners old leather couch for me to blob out on.

Friday, 1 May 2015

Corgi Helicopters and TAG crews.

I have assembled the TAG crew with the Helicopters. I am probably going to go back later and repaint parts of the Corgi Helicopters to match the Revell versions later on. I think they are looking pretty good as they are though.

I have also made a taller version of the Helicopter stands using an old Radio Aerial.

Revell Helicopter bodies.

The bodies have been fitted together and I have started to fill some gaps. I realise that I have made a mistake cutting the nose glass flat to match the nose. If I had left the nose glass off to fit last then I could have trimmed them to the contour of the body and then over painted the glass (by glass I mean clear plastic). Things are looking good now and I just have to fit the various external components. I have assembled one set of blades which look sturdy enough for gaming with, and are very close to the Corgi versions.